My iPad has recently become my new obsession. I cannot get on the train without it and I’m sure in the summer, while on vacation, I won’t be able to go to the beach or the pool without bringing it along. I’m wondering if my husband is going to start getting jealous. In order to appease him we got him his own shiny black iPad (his without 3G, since he doesn’t go more than a few minutes without internet access). Gosh I can’t wait until New Jersey Transit gets free WiFi on their trains.
So, how do I use this great Steve Jobs’ invention, you ask? Millions of ways.
- I read the WSJ, NY Times, Bloomberg, Legal Periodicals. There is a great free app for the WSJ you can buy in the AppStore and for $17.00 per month you can download the daily content of the Journal. It gets updated every time there is some news update. If you don’t have the 3G version of the iPad you can download it at home before you leave the house to go to the work and you can then read the paper just as if you bought the paper version. The New York Times and Bloomberg are free applications with no monthly charge and the legal periodicals normally have a charge and I read those on the Internet.
- Vizio. I promised myself a few months ago that I would go green. I can’t stand all the magazines laying around the house and all the paper that gets wasted and thrown out every week in the recycling bin. Who knows what they are doing with it? Zinio is another application for the iPad and iPhone that you can download for free and purchase most of the magazines you currently read in paper version. You can then either save them or discard them once you are done with them.
- Social Networking. Although there is no application for Facebook yet, because I am able to get on Safari I am able to keep in contact with my friends and family. Twitter, I have downloaded the free application called “Twitter” how clever hahaha, and am able to keep track of all the tweets and keep annoying all my followers with my updates on a regular basis. LinkedIn, there is also a free app which I downloaded and enables me to keep in touch with my contacts as well as check out recent updates.
- iBooks. Hands down maybe one of my most favorite applications. I love to read. I probably read two to three books a month. Currently I’m reading “The Hellhound of Wall Street.” iBooks is such a great experience. I also have the Kindle application (also a free application on the iPad) but I have to confess that the iBooks reader is so much prettier.
- FarmVille, We Rule, Restaurant, City Story… For the kid in me, I have downloaded as many games as I can possibly keep track of. My husband laughs every time the iPad bings (I have it set to let me know when my crops are done). A girl has to have a good time too right?
- YouTube. I love to check out new YouTube videos on how to use things. Most recently I’m trying to find reviews for the iPad and games that I like so I can learn to play them better and use my iPad to it’s highest potential.
- The Internet. Yeah I troll the web for new content and ideas and I’m now doing it more and more on my iPad. I’m starting to think that I’m cheating on my Mac book but the iPad is just so much more convenient.
So these are all the ways I use my new toy. Remember, I’m always read to hear your comments. Any other thoughts on how I can use my iPad? Leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.